A Temperance man has been found guilty of murder after he used a piggy bank and a child gate to beat a woman to death and then beheaded her body, officials said.

You got to admit, that’s new and original.


Kenny Wayne McBride, 45, of Temperance, was charged with homicide — open murder and disinterment and mutilation of a dead body in connection with the Feb. 16, 2020, death of Cecilia Gibson.

Gibson, 79, was found dead at 3:14 a.m. Feb. 16 in the living room of a home, authorities said. The case was ruled a homicide two days later, and the day after that, McBride was taken into custody.

Investigators said Gibson had been living with her son in his Temperance home and helping to care for his wife, who recently died of cancer.

Gibson’s son is McBride’s father, authorities said. McBride had been estranged from his father for many years but started staying at the same home about six weeks earlier, according to officials.

Gibson’s son said he last saw his mother alive around 1:30 p.m. Feb. 16, 2020 — a Sunday — when he left for work.

When he returned home from work around 3 a.m. Feb. 17, he found a body and a lot of blood in his dark living room, authorities said. At first, he didn’t realize the body was his mother’s, and he called 911, police said.

McBride was the only other person in the home and claimed to have no knowledge of what happened, according to officials.

Police officers arrived and found Gibson’s dismembered body and clear signs of “a violent, bloody struggle.”

They said Gibson’s head had been removed from her body and thrown outside. Police believe Gibson and McBride got into an argument about McBride’s children — all but one of whom he had ignored for years, officials said.

Investigators said McBride became enraged during the argument and beat Gibson to death using a ceramic piggy bank and a metal child gate. She was struck at least 19 times and suffered massive head trauma, authorities said. After Gibson was dead, McBride used three knives to cut off her head, investigators said. He carried it through the house, opened the back door and threw her head into the yard, according to police.

Thatis pretty intense. Guy sounds like he may have been prone to overdoing it.

Officials said Gibson’s head landed near where her son parked when he returned home from work, but he didn’t see it in the dark of night. Jesus that’s rough.

Investigators found the knives, McBride’s bloody jeans and cut-up photographs of McBride’s children. The only photos of his that weren’t cut up were photos of the one with whom he maintained a relationship, according to authorities.

Police also used DNA evidence, cellphone records and fingerprints to link McBride to the murder. They said he had injuries to his hands and heads that suggested a physical struggle.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here