When I started thinking about this project, I had intended to introduce the gun with a cool video of me shooting it.
But I don’t have any 32 ACP ammo, and I don’t see any on the shelfs of the locals stores, so we shall settle for a static picture.
For a long time I thought of the this little Scorpion gun as just another piece of commie trash. I think I might have handled one once, but never really had any trigger time with them.
When I saw the first printed VZ61 receivers, I figured I’d pick up a cheap parts kit and try building one.
In the end, I found three different version of 3d printable receivers. FreeMenDontAsk made two versions of a 3d printable lower. One used the standard fire control group, minus some parts, and the other used an AR15 fire control group. IvanTheTroll released a modified version of the FMDA’s AR15 trigger lower that is reinforced in the areas that he found would fail under use.
I decided I would print the lower that used mostly standard parts.
I ordered a parts kit from Gunbroker. It should have shown up last month, but it got lost in the mail.
The seller was great, they shipped me a replacement kit.
Which also got lost in the mail.
Then the first kit showed up. Second kit is still lost. I told the seller if it shows up I’ll buy that kit too.
The VZ trigger is much nicer than I expected. I’m rather impressed by build quality.
Printing the lower took about 16ish hours. While getting all the little bits of support material out of all the little crevasses and areas of the receiver was time consuming, it wasn’t overly hard.
These printed lowers require the various holes to be reamed out with a drill bit. Initially I held the tolerances too tight and the mag catch, bolt catch, etc were sticking in place. Once I used larger drill bits to open things up a bit more, everything started working smoothly.
Anyways, 3d printing is fun, guns are fun, and since I doubt I’ll have any 32 ACP ammo anytime soon, I think I will pull this apart and write about the guts of the Scorpion in another post.