3D printing a 10/22 take down hand guard


Previously I talked about how I got a 10/22 take down.
Link here.

I wanted something like a tri-rail handguard for it, but I didn’t feel like spending the cash for one and the few aftermarket handguards I saw online didn’t really suit my fancy.

Yesterday, I woke up thinking about a M-LOK handguard for the 10/22. I took the factory handguard off and realized making a replacement handguard would be pretty easy. There is just a rectangular block under the barrel.

So I took off the factory handguard, grabbed my cheap beater pair of calipers, and spend about 10 minutes in CAD software. I drew up a fast and crude proof of concept. I exported the design as a STL file, imported that into Prusa slicer, and outputting some code for my 3D printer. About 3 and a half hours later, and about $2 of plastic, I had my proof of concept handguard made.

While it worked, it was lacking in a few areas. I left off any fillets for quick design. While the 3D printer doesn’t really make sharp corners, sharp corners are not good for a design. The areas where the M-LOK lock in where too thick. I also figured having the handguard come up over the top of the barrel was not that good looking.

The biggest problem was I forgot to give a clearance for the take down latch. With the proof of concept handguard I have to use a tool to take the gun down.

Before I went to bed I hopped back into the CAD software and made some changes. I lengthened the handguard and added a few more slots. I adjusted some of the dimensions and added some radiuses. Most importantly, I put in clearance for the take down latch.

I started the print before I went to bed. I work up with a new handguard threw it on the printer. $3 worth of plastic, and four something hours of print time.

Rough draft is the name of the setting I used. 20% infil means that about 80% of the inside of this handguard is just hollow. Making this rather light weight. There is some flex in the handguard, so I wouldn’t want to trust mounting a sight for serious use, but I am very happy with it.

It is good enough for now.


  1. Excellent! That’s one of my favorite parts of printing – knock out a quick, rough prototype, evaluate, improve, repeat. Even if it’s something that will eventually go to a shop for metal machining, you can be sure the expensive part will do the job.

  2. This is cool stuff. I’ve ogled 10-22 Takedowns more than once, wishing there were a good forend/Scout scope mount, since anchoring a scope to the receiver wile you detach and reattach the barrel seems like a bad idea.

    I found one option, but it seemed like it was out of production. Being able to model and print one would be awesome.

      • I don’t think that was it, but that would do the trick. I think what I found was a complete forend.

        Good feedback on how repeatable the lockup is on the Takedown. Thanks.

    • There are a couple of options where you have a cantilevered rail attached to the barrel.

      If I were setting up a precision 10/22 takedown, I would go with that.

  3. That is some nice work,glad to see the new printer seems to be cooperating/behaving well.

    Due to article underneath this one might keep an eye out for black vans/suburbans/helicopters ect.!

Leave a Reply to Rocketguy Cancel reply

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here