Brunswick Corporation – Rifleman’s Assault Weapons (RAW)
Designed, fabricated and tested by Brunswick for the U.S. Army MIRADCOM to provide the non-dedicated riflemen with a lightweight, portable assault weapon system to defeat enemy positions in an urban and fortified combat environment.
- Compatible with M-16A1 rifle
- Diameter: 5.5 in. (140 mm)
- Total System Weight Goal: 5.0 lbs
- Explosive Payload: 3.0 lbs
- Rocket propelled
- Effective Range: 200+ meters
- Maximum Range: 2000+ meters
- Straight Line of Sight Trajectory
- Terminal Velocity: 600 ft/s
- Varied Payload: CS, HE, Flame, Smoke, Marker, Fragmentation, WP
- Can be fired by any rifleman
The RAW’s 1-kg (HESH) warhead could penetrate 20 cm of reinforced concrete (creating a 36 cm-wide hole) and hit moving targets at a range of 300 meters. The RAW was considered to be ideal for the conditions of fighting in urban areas.
Reconsideration by the U.S. military as to what kind of close support weapon they were seeking resulted in only limited procurement of the RAW, despite the weapon performing to specification and displaying a remarkably flat trajectory to a range of 300 meters. Brunswick Corporation also developed an antitank version of the RAW. Brunswick later sold the design for the RAW to KDI Precision Products, Inc.
|Performance of RAW and contemporary weapons|
|Effectiveness against reinforced concrete|
|Munition||Penetration in cm||Max effective range in meters|
|40-mm Grenade||~ 15||400|
|83-mm Bunker Defeat Munition (SMAW-D)||20||500|
|Data source for weapons performance is Jane’s Infantry Weapons 1995–96, Jane’s Ammunition Handbook 1994|