The President just wrapped up a news conference were he told us everything is fine, “it’s just the flu” Everything is under control. Just wash your hands and don’t hug people with a runny nose. Experts at briefing gave the reality if you know enough about the world to ignore the expected and necessary yet still hollow reassurances of POTUS ( He has to even if he doesn’t believe it himself). Outbreak is inevitable. No kidding…
- CDC confirms first case of ‘unknown origin’ in US
- CDC reports 6 new cases among repatriated Americans
- WaPo reports Northern California has 16th US case, says it’s first of “unknown origin” and risks local spread
- 83 being monitored in Nassau County
- Orange County declares state of emergency
- Norway has confirmed its first case
- 8 quarantined in Westchester
- HHS confirms 15th US case
- Iran deaths hit 19
- Brazil confirms first case in South America
- France confirms 2nd death
- Greece confirms first case
- Germany unleashes fiscal stimulus after confirming new cases
- Dems one-up Trump with $8.5 billion package in an attempt to play politics as usual.
- Kuwait, Iraq, Lebanon, Bahrain confirm new cases
- Finland confirms 2nd case
- 1st 2 cases reported in Pakistan
- HHS Secretary tells Congress infectious disease fund has no extra uncommitted cash
- Congress begins talks on corona virus spending bill with vote expected early next month
- Germany health minister warns we’re at beginning of epidemic in Germany; 5 new cases
- Italy confirms 12th death, cases soar above 400
- North Macedonia confirms first case
- South Korea cases soar above 1,200 as gov’t begins testing of 200k patients
- Brazil confirms infected patient came on plane from Paris
- Ericsson confirms one of its employees in Croatia tested positive
the Washington Post reported that the first US coronavirus case of unknown origin has been reported in Northern California.
They added that the case is a sign that the virus “may be spreading in a local area.”
The CDC won’t disclose the exact location of the case, according to the paper.
Reports of a effective drug for treating the virus is one used to treat AIDS. The treatment is almost as hard on the body as the virus with some patients dying from heart problems after catching Corvid19 a second time. Oh yeah, you can catch it more than once.
FoxLA reports that Orange County officials declared a local health emergency Wednesday in response to the coronavirus, which has now infected more than 81,000 people worldwide. Michelle Steel, chair of the county Board of Supervisors, and board Vice Chair Andrew Do made the announcement at an early afternoon news conference.
“Our declaration of local emergency today signed by Dr. Quick is about preparedness. It does not indicate a greater risk of harm, there are no current incidents reported in the county of Orange,” stated Supervisor Andrew Do.
The tiny kingdom of Bahrain has reported a stunning spike in cases, going from just a handful to 33 in less than 24 hours, according to the country’s health ministry.
In another news, the use of HIV anti viral drugs should mean its no surprise that this has been confirmed..
“..new research from scientists in China and Europe reveal that the disease happens to have an ‘HIV-like mutation’ which allows it to bind with human cells up to 1,000 times stronger than the Sars virus, according to SCMP. “
new research by a team from Nankai University, which writes that COV-19 has an ‘HIV-like mutation’ that allows it to quickly enter the human body by binding with a receptor called ACE2 on a cell membrane.
Other highly contagious viruses, including HIV and Ebola, target an enzyme called furin, which works as a protein activator in the human body. Many proteins are inactive or dormant when they are produced and have to be “cut” at specific points to activate their various functions.
When looking at the genome sequence of the new coronavirus, Professor Ruan Jishou and his team at Nankai University in Tianjin found a section of mutated genes that did not exist in Sars, but were similar to those found in HIV and Ebola.
“Compared to the Sars’ way of entry, this binding method is “100 to 1,000 times” as efficient, according to the study.“
The virus uses the outreaching spike protein to hook on to the host cell, but normally this protein is inactive. The cleavage site structure’s job is to cheat the human furin protein, so it will cut and activate the spike protein and cause a “direct fusion” of the viral and cellular membranes. –SCMP
(a recent paper published by Dr. Zhou Peng of the Wuhan Institute of Virology, meanwhile, is “Immunogenicity of the spike glycoprotein of Bat SARS-like coronavirus.“)
a follow-up study from a Huazhong University of Science and Technology in Wuhn confirmed Nankai University’s findings.
The mutation could not be found in Sars, Mers or Bat-CoVRaTG13, a bat coronavirus that was considered the original source of the new coronavirus with 96 per cent similarity in genes, it said.
This could be “the reason why SARS-CoV-2 is more infectious than other coronaviruses”, Li wrote in a paper released on Chinarxiv on Sunday.
Meanwhile, a study by French scientist Etienne Decroly at Aix-Marseille University, which was published in the scientific journal Antiviral Research on February 10, also found a “furin-like cleavage site” that is absent in similar coronaviruses.