- Death toll tops 300, 14,550 cases reported globally
- First death outside China reported in Philippines
- Suspected case being tested in New York City
- 8th US case confirmed in Massachusetts
- Vietnam, Japan, Australia limit travel to China
- Hong Kong health-care workers threaten to strike unless border to mainland closed
The numbers keep climbing, no surprise there.
Update (2200ET): The Philippines office of the World Health Organization has reported the first death of a coronavirus victim outside of China.
On Jan. 29, Zeng Guang, the chief scientist of epidemiology at China’s CDC, made a rare candid admission about why Chinese officials cannot tell people the truth, in an interview with the state-run tabloid Global Times.
And then there’s this, from SixthTone’s David Paulk: “The 8 people detained in Wuhan for “spreading rumors” — who we wrote about in a Jan. 2 article that was censored — were doctors trying to raise the alarm about a new SARS-like virus.”